Friday, January 30, 2015

Introducing Our New Dogs: Jeb the Weim


We have a lot of new LCDA competitors and club members who are in various stages of training and competing. Some have made their debut this fall and others are getting ready. We've all seen most of them at the field for trials or classes, but here's a chance to get to know them a little better! Over the next few months, we'll be introducing our new dogs here on the Tips, Tricks, and Training (TTT) blog, so be sure to stop by and meet our newest 4-legged members.
 
If you're new to the club, new to competition, or have a new dog and haven't yet completed the questionnaire that was sent out through the website forum, be sure to complete that and send it, along with a picture, so your pup can be included!
 
This week, please welcome Jeb the Weimaraner! introduced by his handler, dog-mom, Allison Smith.
 
 
TTT: Let's start with the essentials: What's your pup's name, breed, and age.
Allison: Jeb, Weimaraner, 2 yrs old.
 
Jeb the Weim and Allison
 
 
TTT:  Now a bit of the story: when, where, why, and how did this pup come to you and agility?
Allison: We started in the Fall of 2013. I took an obedience class at LCDA when he was just a few months old. I thought it would be fun to take an agility class later, but had no idea we would end up where we are now!
 
TTT:  What's been the most difficult part of incorporating your newest family member into your household? The most rewarding?
Allison: Our biggest challenge has just been dealing with a weimaraner! We (my husband and I) thought we knew what we were getting into with this breed, but wow!
I grew up with a very calm, eager to please lab and very low maintenance mixed breeds. I wasn’t expecting so much of a challenge. I can’t imagine a more stubborn and defiant dog!
With that being said, I don’t think I’d ever get anything else now! Jeb is so incredibly intelligent and I enjoy him constantly challenging me (maybe I’m just crazy). We both learn and grow together and feeling that connection every day is rewarding beyond words.
TTT:  What challenges have you faced training this dog compared with others? What did he or she excel at?
Allison: Jeb is the first dog I’ve raised from a puppy and trained. As I mentioned before, he is very stubborn and likes to do what he wants, when he wants. Punishment doesn’t seem to faze him either. The last lab my family had would pout for the rest of the day if you even raised your voice at him. Jeb doesn’t seem to care at all! Weims are famous for trying to convince you that their way is the right way. So I would say my biggest challenge has been breaking him of bad habits. We are still struggling with plenty of those! (pulling on the leash, counter surfing, play biting when he gets excited…)
He is great at learning though and he always impresses me with that. He picks things up so quickly. Whether it’s in agility, trick training, playing games, or even just learning routines, he is always so eager to learn.
TTT:  What has your training regimen been for this dog?
Allison: Since Jeb has started agility, I think there hasn’t been a time he hasn’t been enrolled in a class. I try to take him to the field 3 times a week, and I do some conditioning and training at our house 2-3 times a week. I would like to work in some more cardio and cross training into his regimen, but it’s been difficult during the colder months. During the summer I take him swimming a good bit.
TTT:  What, if anything, have you learned or done training-wise with this dog that's new for you?
Allison: Everything! Ha!
It’s all new to me and I’m just trying to figure out what works for us along the way.
TTT:  Share your secrets: what's one silly thing you and your agility teammate do together when no one is looking?
Allison: Oh gosh… I have a few songs that I’ve made an agility parody of that I sing to him.
TTT:  One word that best describes this pup:
Allison: Perfect! ;)
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment